Sunday, October 12, 2008

Don't Steam The Bathroom!

I have several ghost stories concerning the house we live in now. This is a short little ditty about one of the many disturbances we have felt.

The house we live in now has two bathrooms - one in the master bedroom and one in the hall.

My children bathe and shower in the hall. When my son showers, he steams up the bathroom pretty good and my husband and I have been trying to teach him how to de-steam it since there is no window in that bathroom. We always tell him, "John, make sure you hang up your towel, open the shower curtain, so the steam doesn't collect in there, and leave the door open to air it out."

He's pretty good about remembering most of those things, but often he forgets the part about making sure the shower curtain is completely open.

One night it was very late. It was a weekend night and I had let my son stay up with me watching TV while my husband watched a French film in the back master bedroom. At about 10:30 I turned to my son and said, "You need to go take a shower". "Mooooooommmm", he whined. "Do I have to?"

"Yes", I said sternly. "Go right now. I let you stay up late enough." He slumped off the couch and moped away towards the bathroom.

"And remember, John - don't steam the bathroom", I called out.

I turned back to my program on TV and listened as he turned the water on in the shower. A few minutes later I heard the water stop and I muted the TV and listened to make sure he followed all of the steps to not steam the bathroom. Our house echoes very loud. It's about 70% tile, so you can pretty much hear everything happening in the house. I heard him open the bathroom door. I heard the slap of his damp feet across the tile. I heard his bedroom door shut as he dressed himself in his pajamas. A few moments later I heard his bedroom door open and literally one second later, I heard the screeching of the metal rings on the metal pole where the bathroom curtain hung, with a sound like it was violently being thrown open. Then there was silence.

Then I heard it - coming towards me - very fast. SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! The naked, damp feet slapping against the tile, the sound growing louder, then the panting of breath. John ran right at me, a look of terror on his face.

"MOM!" He shouted. "MOM!" He collapsed onto the couch beside me and buried his face in his hands. "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" He moaned.

"What?" I sat straight up in my seat and looked at him, completely puzzled. "What's the matter?"

"Mom, oh my gosh! Did you hear that?"

I nodded. "Well, yeah. I heard you throw open the bathroom curtain and then I heard you run. What's going on?"

"Mom. That wasn't me." He stared me straight in the eyes, his eyes as round as saucers, his complexion pale.

"What do you mean it wasn't you?" I quizzed.

He proceeded to explain that just as he set foot on the tile outside of his bedroom door, he saw and heard the curtain fly open in the bathroom across the hall. It spooked him and he ran to me. My heart did a back flip and I just stared at my son in disbelief. I started to pant, matching my son's erratic breathing pattern.

"Okaay", I said slowly as I got up from the couch. "Let's go tell dad". We ran down the hall to Bertrand, holding onto each other and burst into the master bedroom, causing my husband to just about leap off the bed. We explained what had happened, so he jumped out of bed and entered the hall bathroom, examining the curtain and tub thoroughly.

"I don't see anything". We asked him if he heard it and he nodded and replied, "Yeah, but I thought it was just John opening the curtain like we asked him to".

I guess our ghostly house guest was just trying to be helpful.

2 comments:

Completely Random said...

You need to write up the ones about the footsteps at mom and dads house. In general it's a pretty creaky house but I swear on my life there have been times where I heard definite footsteps and I would go up to investigate and find nothing. Mainly their master bedroom/bathroom and the ballet room were the hot spots it seemed. It was also interesting with all the air pressure "issues" they had going on upstairs where doors would randomly slam shut. The room between their master bedroom and the guest bathroom always let out good slams. :) Oddly enough, when I had the downstairs room to myself for a few years I never had any issues there.

Completely Random said...

oooh, I just thought of another one. Remember how we had a bunch of people over (can't remember who it was) but we were hanging out in the kitchen with the windows open and somebody saw a man in the backyard back by where the ponds eventually were put in. We all went out to investigate and I think the first 2 or so people saw them as well and came running back in screaming. LOL. Eventually we all went out there with baseball bats and flash lights and didn't find so much as a footprint. Okay, I'll stop stealing your thunder. Your write-ups are much more elaborate and detailed than mine. :P