Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Reluctant Medium - Chapter 5

Brandon just stared in complete awe. I observed him, smiling to myself. It was kind of a funny sight to see. I felt kind of cool at this moment. This was all unfortunately normal for me. Watching someone else frightened and awed by it was truly entertaining. I sauntered over and picked the book up, setting it neatly back on the table. "Believe me now?" I smirked. He didn't respond, so I glanced up at his eyes and noticed he was looking past me, his eyes wide. Suddenly I got the chills and the fear set back in.

"Are you...seeing something?" I asked, half curious, half horrified.

"Umm...it's walking toward the back hallway".

I grit my teeth. My heart started in. "Can you see her?" My voice was shaky now.

"Look", he said and pointed.

I shut my eyes and shook my head. "I don't wanna' see it".

"You won't. Just look, " he insisted.

"You better not be lying. I'll be so mad at you if you make me see a ghost!" I warned.

He just shook his head in awe and mouthed the word "wow". I finally gave in and turned around. I saw nothing. Brandon started walking toward the back hallway.

"What are you doing?" I growled.

"Following the footprints. Come on. She needs us to go with her".

I felt my shoulders slump. "What? How do you know?" I asked in an agitated tone. It felt like he was stealing my thunder. Could he suddenly communicate with this person now? What about me? As Brandon disappeared around the corner into the dark back hallway, I shook my head.

"Oh my gosh!" I whispered to myself. "Why am I upset? This is perfect. He can solve this and I can get on with my life".

The back hall light flipped on. "Come on! Get your keys! Let's do this!" Brandon called out to me. I rolled my eyes and threw my head back, then grabbed my keys and purse off the counter and followed. It didn't seem so scary anymore. Just annoying.

We entered the garage and I looked at Brandon with annoyance, "Well?" I challenged.

"I think we need to drive somewhere. Maybe she wants to show us where her body is", he said very seriously.

"Okay, are you serious? Is it telling you this?" I mocked.

"SHE! It's a she and you know it," he reprimanded.

"Okay, LISA", I said. "What do you want?"

"Lisa? Really?" Brandon looked at me in surprise.

"Yep. She spelled it out for me on the fridge today, didn't ya?" I said, rolling my eyes. I sighed and entered the driver's side, smacking the garage door opener and waiting for Brandon and...apparently Lisa to get in.

I was testy because I was mostly scared deep down and it's how I was dealing with my fear. I feared what we would find. I feared what would happen next. I feared this nightmare would never end. I feared word would get out and I'd be labeled 'the freak' after all of this.

We pulled out of the garage and left the complex. I pulled out onto Dobson Rd. and started driving north.

Brandon looked at me quizzically. "You know where to go?"

"Not really", I said, the rebellious tone still present.

"Okaaay. Maybe you should ask Lisa", he suggested.

I rolled my eyes and huffed, "Well, Lisa? Where do you want me to go?"

Suddenly I felt dizzy, sick to my stomach. My head felt full. Tight. I squinted and groaned, putting my hand up to my left eye and covering it. It started tearing up.

"You okay?" Brandon asked.

Suddenly both of my hands gripped the steering wheel tight. I leaned forward in my seat and squinted. But it wasn't me. I felt like I wasn't myself. My chest felt heavy. It was difficult to breathe...but not. It was difficult to focus, but I didn't really feel like I needed to. It was like something took over me. It's hard to explain. I suddenly signaled and veered off to the right, heading East on University Dr. I pushed the gas pedal further and stared straight ahead, focusing hard on the road ahead.

"What are you doing? You're like way above the speed limit. You seriously need to slow down", I could hear Brandon talking, but I couldn't respond. I had to just drive. Just go. I was like a horse with blinders on. I had a destination and I needed to just focus straight ahead.

I could hear Brandon calling out to me. I could feel him grabbing my arm, but my strength overpowered him and I gripped tighter on the wheel and pressed forward. Suddenly I didn't even hear him, didn't notice him anymore. I drove on.

I don't remember much about that drive at all. It's all fuzzy. I don't remember stopping at stop lights. I don't remember doing much of anything - just driving. The sun was setting now. felt the car pushing forward up a mountain slope.

"The lake? Are we going to the lake?" I heard Brandon say.

"Yes", I snarled back. I was surprised at my tone, but gritted my teeth tight and continued on, still under the control of something else.

Finally we arrived. I just felt it. I felt like we were where we needed to be. We had reached Canyon Lake, but I passed it and continued on a little ways. There was a small trail off to the right. It wasn't meant for a vehicle like mine. It was for off-roading. I drove a Nissan Altima. I turned off and started to drive through it.

I heard Brandon again, "Uhh. Where are we going?"

I ignored him. I felt agitated by his questions. I needed to get through and my tires were slipping around on the gravel, not moving forward fast enough like I needed them to. I gripped the steering wheel even harder, bore down harder on the gas pedal and growled through gritted teeth. "Come on!"

I could feel Brandon's hands on mine. I could hear him shouting to stop, but I couldn't stop. I kept on. I could hear the pelting of small rocks flying up, but I didn't care. I let up on the gas and then slammed it down. We flew up out of the small hole we had created and pressed on, going over bumps and narrowly avoiding trees.

SLAM! We knocked into a tree. I let up on the gas. Brandon threw the car into park. I stared straight ahead, surveying the area, squinting in the dark. Then I released my death grip on the steering wheel and got out. I was scared to death, but my feet were moving on their own. I was searching. It was like I didn't know, but I did. I got out and started walking into the area in front of the car, lit by the headlights. I turned around in slow circles, searching the rocks and dirt and leaves and needles and....suddenly I dropped to my knees and started digging with my hands. It hurt. I could feel the stinging, the burning, the aching, but I continued to dig.

"Whoa! Calm down! I'll help you, okay?" I heard Brandon, but couldn't respond. I continued to dig deeper and deeper, finally making somewhat of a dent in the compacted dirt.

"Seriously! You're bleeding! What the crap are you doing? Have you lost your mind tonight? You drove like a bat outta' HELL! I'm like amazed you didn't get pulled over or get us killed! I'm like trying to figure you out right now! I told you I'd help you, but you're like psycho right now. Seriously!" The words were running on and on. I only half listened to him. I felt bad and I wanted to stop and respond and reassure him, but I couldn't.

Suddenly I felt it. I felt something soft, but bony. I felt the flesh through the dirt. I was rubbing my hand over it. It was a nose. I was horrified. I wanted to scream, but I couldn't. My hands continued to brush back dirt. I closed my eyes shut as tight as I could, fighting against this other force. I felt lips! I felt a chin!

GGGAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! I finally managed. I continued screaming.

I felt Brandon's arms pulling me back. He threw me back onto the soft earth and jumped on me. "What's happening? You're freaking me out! Seriously! Talk to me! Right now!" His eyes were wild with fear.

I growled and thrashed, trying to break free of his hold. I pushed him off of me, which wasn't difficult. He half jumped off of me, completely clueless as to what to do with me. I crawled angrily and forcefully back toward the hole I was digging, toward the face I was uncovering. "GET! HER! OUT! OF ME!" I screamed in spurts as I crawled.

"WHAT! What are you TALKING about?!" he shouted.

I continued digging, turning my head away and pressing my eyelids closed as tight as I could, growling and screaming. "Get her OUT! She's in me! She's making me do this! Get her OUT!"

I don't know what he did or if it was even him, but suddenly I felt lighter and limp. My arms gave out beneath me and I fell to the earth with a thud and a groan. I was panting hard, blowing the dirt out all around my face with my heavy breath. I started choking and sputtering. Brandon lifted me up and pulled me away. I turned and threw myself on him, sobbing uncontrollably. "Brandon", I moaned. The hot tears were flowing freely now.

"What's happening, Kristin?" he asked in a half whisper. His voice was shaking. I could feel his body shaking beneath mine.

"It's her", I moaned. "She's in the ground. She was inside of me, making me drive, making me dig her body up." I sobbed uncontrollably. I was nearly hyperventilating. I was crying so hard, I could barely speak. We just sat there, Brandon holding me - in shock- as I sobbed.

"I wanna'.... go....home", I finally managed in spurts.

Brandon lifted me up. I looked up at him, "Take me home", I moaned. But he didn't respond. His eyes were wide. His look one of horror and disgust. "What", I moaned.

His breathing was heavy. "It IS a body. Oh my gosh! It really is a body!" I turned around reflexively. I didn't want to, but my curiosity got me. I had been looking at things through her eyes. Not really seeing it or experiencing it as myself. I saw it. The face. The neck. Completely uncovered. It was barely starting to decompose. Still pretty fresh. This hadn't happened too long ago. My knees gave out.

"Oh my gosh" I mumbled. I felt a sick twist in my stomach. It started to churn. I clasped my hand over my mouth. "Oh my..." Suddenly I lurched forward and vomited on the ground by the body.

"OH!" I heard Brandon yell. He turned and started to walk away.

"No! Don't leave me!" I yelled and lurched forward and vomited again. It was uncontrollable. What had I eaten? When I thoroughly emptied the contents of my stomach, I started dry heaving. I couldn't stop. I tried to clear my head. Tried to get that image out. I will NEVER get that image out.

3 comments:

Jax said...

Ok that is INSANE!!!! I can't believe this story. I'm sorry it scared the snot out of you, but it makes for a great story. I know it is draining to write out, but I am anxiously hanging on your every word and totally excited for the remaining chapters of this saga.:)

Sami said...

OH MY GOSH KRISTIN!!! This story is the best yet. I can't wait to read the next chapter - I will be waiting on pins and needles till then. :0)

The Bargo Bunch said...

I love your experiences! I have had to navigate through Sam's profile to get to you, so I added you to my profile :) I can't wait for the rest of the story!